Skip to main content

of expectations

whenever I meet new friends for the first time, one of the few things they learn about me is that I'm stoical by nature. I express almost no emotion and nothing they say or do shocks me in the slightest. This works both ways, on the positive I have friends from every sphere of life. I have really good friends who are area boys and touts, and I have banker and lawyer friends, all just as close to me as the other. True that I may exhibit different levels of caution when dealing with street folk but other than ensuring that nothing of value is within sight when they are around, you can't tell one friend from the other. 

The downside of my stoical nature is that I come across as fake and impersonal. Colleagues often come to me with what is supposed to be a life threatening national emergency and meet the same blank face with which I address complete strangers telling me about their pet animals. Yeah, it's called the "I couldnt give a rats ass" look. Those who are able to look past this mien often find that I'm all but impersonal in real life. So naturally, the question is "how" and "why"? How am I able to appear completely unfazed in the midst of chaos, and why? 

I would attribute the why partly to my training as a lawyer. You see the honest truth is that lawyers, like doctors, cannot get emotionally involved with either the clients or their issues. Emotion runs counter to logic and the profession requires the sharpest logic on a daily basis. After ten years of handling issues that always start out as the end of the world, you quickly learn that high blood pressure is a killer disease and that all the issues that appear to be the end of life as we know it, aren't really that serious when you get to the basics. In fact, beyond the garb of the lengthy stories and bitter  renditions of events leading up the issue, the answer is often very simple really. Seeing beyond the hype therefore is the primary job of a lawyer.

The second part of the "why" is the incredibly tough life I have lived. I have surmounted incredible odds if I may say so myself and the honest truth is that you cannot be emotional and survive the trauma. When you live every waking breath with the constant reminder that you do not deserve to live and that you should be subservient for the basic provisions of life because those who should have provided them abandoned you to your fate at birth, by the time you're 10 it becomes clear to you that noone actually owes you jack. This comes with the conjoined lesson, that you also owe no man anything but love...and even that isn't guaranteed. But this is life's greatest lesson. Survival in itself requires a certain amount of disconnect, the ability to bark, bite and scuffle comes with a great level of selfishness but this is what the best leaders are made of.

So as I went to see a new born on Thursday, went to a burial on Friday and ended up in a hospital room tending family on Sunday, I am reminded to be thankful for life, not only for those who have just started it, or ended it or are fighting to keep it but for the lessons that only life can teach us. The experience that only time can bring us and for choices the consequences of which only the future can disclose to us. Above all, I am thankful that I learned early on not to expect anything from anyone (including myself)...it has ensured that I am never disappointed and that I have no regrets.

It's the way to go peeps. You only have today, stop expecting tomorrow.

Comments

Toinlicious said…
This made me smile in a I-know-this-too-well kinda way :)
. said…
Rockie, don't know why you ran away from bb. But seeing as this is the only way I can reach you, today is my birthday, so you'd better call me :)

'Dufa
Chinene said…
Ahn ahn u haff change o! i know for a fact that u were not this impersonal back in the day. Its life bah? lol...but i agree with everyother thing u have said. Its hard to accept but life rams home d lesson ... Expect nothing, be grateful for everything !!!

Popular posts from this blog

Of #MoreThanPlatitudes

Look at this picture. That's one of the children being rescued from a collapsed school building in Lagos, Nigeria. You don't have a be a parent and I won't pander to your better instincts. Tell me this is acceptable or should be allowed to occur again. The President sent condolence messages and the Governor visited the site then said the state emergency services will do all they can cliched response. the end. and people moved on. The heartbreaking pictures of the children pulled out half dazed with cement dust all over their little noses (Exhibit A) did not let me sleep last night. I have gone to drop a comment on the governor's pages on all social media platforms that we need #MoreThanPlatitudes 🚫❌ We need to hear what policy changes are triggered by the death of these babies. The Commissioner of Education must address Lagosians and set up a project team with the Commissioner for Works or Town Planning etc to undertake an immediate structural integrity test

moved to wordpress - https://simplyoroquesview.blog/

Dear Reader, It appears blogger.com is on its way out. It will always be my first intro to blogging and holds a special place in my heart. However I cannot run two blog sites at once and have to move away from here permanently. My new site is: https://simplyoroquesview.blog/ This will stay up as long as possible but with no further blog posts or updates. See you at my new site! RQ

of #BalanceForBetter

With the global movement shifting women forward, making them outspoken and addressing negative patriarchal activities that have gone on for decades...it has been a great year for moving women forward. The concept of gender equality is now universally accepted and even religious leaders have come to openly embrace the concept as not being against godly teachings. The place of the woman is now everywhere, no more is her definition of success measured by the ability to be submissive to a man or to cook and iron and clean. And although feminism is still under attack in half the world where conservative traditional way of life still holds sway, there has been immense improvement in female child education, reduction of female genital mutilation, plus girl child marriage and trafficking is being fought head on. It is a great time to be a woman. This year, companies and corporate organizations around the world are making a conscious effort to balance the pay gap in the workplace. When H