Skip to main content

of passions and brides...

So as you all know, I’m starting my value adding blog posts. The honest truth is that when I made the commitment to inspire my readers by seeking out interviews with different successful young people, I really didn’t have any leads. I also didn’t have any particular area I thought you’d like to read about…but life has a way of aligning the stars when its time for you to get moving. And that’s how the interview below came about.

‘I Do’ Weddings is the brain-child of a friend that I have known for a long time. In fact, she is a British trained lawyer who was working in a multinational company and by all standards should just sit and coast along like the rest of us are doing. So I was intrigued when some time ago, she just ran the idea of a one-stop wedding company by me. Naturally, as I hear about business opportunities every day from people who won’t move an inch from the sofa and remote control, I brushed it aside.

You can of course imagine my shock when I hear from acquaintances home and abroad about some bridal business in Nigeria that does everything while brides-to-be take beauty naps literally days to their wedding. I thought nothing of it until I saw the fantastic adverts with perfect models and world class photography…and lo and behold, it was I.D.W.



Usually, when friends become this successful, it’s hard to get them to spare a minute to answer your questions, but she’s as graceful as they come.

Me: well, there you are

Tims: indeed, here I am

Me: I often feel like I’m good at asking questions but now I’m faced with the task of interviewing you, I’m terrified. I’ve almost drawn a blank

Tims: is that right? Why so? You make me sound like a witch. LOL.
 
Me: I find that it’s easy to think about doing something, whether business or not, but actually getting up and getting it done is the hard part. What made you get up and get it done with I.DW.?

Tims: Frustration in my current role, feeling like i wasn’t maximizing my potential and desire for more out of life

Me: but looking from outside in, most people would say you have the perfect life...why would you want more?

Tims: Perfect life is relative. ‘Perfect’ in what sense?

Me: you know, perfect being devoid of the regular worries of food, health or peace of mind

Tims: fulfillment is a part of perfection for me. i was not fulfilled in my job, I wasn’t being mentally challenged, I wasn’t growing and growth is key. I don’t see perfection as static and just coasting. I wanted to expand my capabilities and grow

Me: I guess anyone reading would think, do I have to feel something is amiss before I am driven to do something else? In other words, is that the driver of passion for most, do you reckon?

Tims: people are driven by different things, survival, poverty, greed…for me it was a need for growth and to challenge myself. To be a better Me. I was driven by the fact I knew I wasn’t fully maximizing my potential and that simply wasn’t good enough for me

Me: so of all things in the world, why weddings? Is that a safe choice?

Tims: No. it’s simply what i am passionate about and where my interest lies. An area I believe I can provide value which is key. There is no use offering a service if there is no value added and it comes naturally to me. You know, if i am called at 2am about wedding planning its not a hassle because i love it and you know what they say: find what you love to do and you'll never have to work a day in your life

Me: true. But when you say "an area I can provide value", I guess the thinking is: well, you can provide value in maternal health areas, or other areas affecting young women...which would add value as well. Do you plan to do anything more selfless? in the near future?

Tims: Yes, but what you are asking me is business related. I am speaking specifically to work in my responses

Me: most people reading this, at their desks at work, would think 'I can do this as well. All I need to do is get some stationery and I’m done'

Tims: so they should get up and do it!…but just ‘doing’ and delivering an excellent service are two different things. You see, anyone can do anything. What keeps you there is the passion that sustains you. I could decide to go into a smoothie making business because I like the taste of smoothies but I won't provide value if I have no passion, insight or knowledge. I won't be able to keep up the business based on 'let me do this on a whim'. When there are down times in the industry and the business experiences issues, the notion of ‘I can do this’ cannot pull the business through. A serious commitment and dedication does.

Me: speaking of insight, passion or knowledge, so what sort of things did you have to consider before you started spending money in setting up IDW

Tims: To start, I considered a business name, registering it or setting up a limited liability company, who the directors will be, Office Space, Staff etc. Registering for tax purposes with the State, Finances, Accounts consultants etc… From a creative stand point company colors, logo, font, letterhead. Advertising, Publicity: Facebook, website, twitter, google plus etc. Then of course merchandise and the service I would provide, dresses, hostesses etc.

Me: it’s obvious from the results that significant investment is required for this venture. In a country where there is no easy access to capital, no free legal and tax advisory, and that is flooded with substandard imports...what would you say to a secretary in the civil service who has the same passion for your line of work?

Tims: Well let me correct an impression I’m assuming you have. I don’t have access to significant amounts of money and as yet I haven’t taken any loan. Regarding the civil servant I’d say save from your current earnings and plough into your business. As far as wedding planning goes it is not capital intensive as such, but you need to be mobile and have a phone. You can structure your payment policy in such a way that the client pays 70-80% of the fee upfront and the rest on completion. That way your costs are covered and you are liquid.

Me: do you think women are under pressure to go through with the wedding once they have engaged a wedding consultant? And have you ever had to advice women who wanted to pull the plug if they could...

Tims: A marriage is a lifelong decision and its best not to feel pressured into it simply because one has engaged a wedding planner! Luckily, I have never had to advice a woman with regards to pulling the plug.

Me: Of all the people you’ve ever known that have tried to do business, and failed, what in your opinion is the common thread that runs through these failures?

Tims: I don’t know very many people who have failed in business, to be honest, but I would imagine that lack of a vision and lack of commitment would be contributory factors to a failed business. When I say vision, it encompasses planning, foresight and commitment which means sticking it out as well. Vision also speaks to positioning. If you want to have ‘sky lounge’ type restaurant and (no disrespect) you put it in a rural setting, the very essence of your business has been defeated from inception due to the wrong positioning. Besides, if you read about the most successful businesses, “failure” is a common occurrence but it is the refusal to accept it as such and instead see it as learning, coupled with a renewed way of thinking and commitment to the business that gets you going and gets you back up. Steve Jobs at some point had experienced what would have been considered failure in his business yet Apple is one of the most notable brands today.

Me: So, he has proposed and she has said ‘yes’, is this when she comes to IDW?

Tims: Ideally from when she says” yes!”… as we’d love to be involved from inception but it really depends on the kind of bride you are and the service that you want. For example, with wedding planning and co-ordination, my services are divided into three: full planning, partial planning and on the date co-ordination.

If you are the busy bride with no time to spare (or you’re a bride who really doesn’t know much about the wedding industry, colors, and caterers etc), then ideally you should come once you have set your date - and go for the full planning option which means planning from inception to the wedding day.

If you are the bride who has chosen some of your suppliers but need help with more suppliers and need fresh ideas then you can go for the partial wedding planning where I will come in with some ideas to compliment yours and plan till the wedding day.

If you are the sort of person who is very organized and has all your preffered vendors chosen, we can come in approximately 1 – 2 months before the special day. We will work with your vendors and venue to manage and coordinate the wedding day.

Me: Last Question: Favorite Bridal Gown in your Collection?

Tims: All the gowns in my collection are my favorites so please don’t make me choose! LOL! But if I totally must choose, it would be the 'NeLa' dress. Of course it’s a personal choice.



Me: Thanks for allowing me interrupt your busy day and here’s wishing you more success!

Tims: Always great talking to you Rokz.

www.idoweddingsng.com

@idoweddingsng

www.facebook.com/idoweddingsng

www.idoweddingsng.blogspot.com
***

 

what do y'all think peeps? am i set to replace oprah yet? or should i just stick to my day job? :)

Comments

chinene said…
Not bad. You don't flounder, I'll give you that but please hang on to your day job just a wee longer.
This just makes me want to get off my butt and do a couple of things I had always wanted to do.

Popular posts from this blog

Of #MoreThanPlatitudes

Look at this picture. That's one of the children being rescued from a collapsed school building in Lagos, Nigeria. You don't have a be a parent and I won't pander to your better instincts. Tell me this is acceptable or should be allowed to occur again. The President sent condolence messages and the Governor visited the site then said the state emergency services will do all they can cliched response. the end. and people moved on. The heartbreaking pictures of the children pulled out half dazed with cement dust all over their little noses (Exhibit A) did not let me sleep last night. I have gone to drop a comment on the governor's pages on all social media platforms that we need #MoreThanPlatitudes 🚫❌ We need to hear what policy changes are triggered by the death of these babies. The Commissioner of Education must address Lagosians and set up a project team with the Commissioner for Works or Town Planning etc to undertake an immediate structural integrity test

moved to wordpress - https://simplyoroquesview.blog/

Dear Reader, It appears blogger.com is on its way out. It will always be my first intro to blogging and holds a special place in my heart. However I cannot run two blog sites at once and have to move away from here permanently. My new site is: https://simplyoroquesview.blog/ This will stay up as long as possible but with no further blog posts or updates. See you at my new site! RQ

of #BalanceForBetter

With the global movement shifting women forward, making them outspoken and addressing negative patriarchal activities that have gone on for decades...it has been a great year for moving women forward. The concept of gender equality is now universally accepted and even religious leaders have come to openly embrace the concept as not being against godly teachings. The place of the woman is now everywhere, no more is her definition of success measured by the ability to be submissive to a man or to cook and iron and clean. And although feminism is still under attack in half the world where conservative traditional way of life still holds sway, there has been immense improvement in female child education, reduction of female genital mutilation, plus girl child marriage and trafficking is being fought head on. It is a great time to be a woman. This year, companies and corporate organizations around the world are making a conscious effort to balance the pay gap in the workplace. When H