Skip to main content

of dreaming my mum’s dream

So I got tired of making the same old new year resolutions that were focused on weight loss and other things largely outside my control. This year I decided to take my company a little more seriously. Yes. I incorporated a company last year largely in memory of my mum who passed in 2015. As I reflected on her life and the things that were important to her, I knew that a life of charity and benevolence was all she lived for.

I took that from her. Anyone who knows me in reality knows I thrive on generosity. The more I have to give out to people who really need it, the happier I am. All I pray for is the life, health and prosperity to take this to the levels that my mum would, had she been here. And it starts with MILROQZEE. You see her name was Mildred and I call myself Roqzee so yeah...no deep anything behind that name.




My mum was a Christian missionary in the real sense of the word. As a missionary pastor in the Redeemed Christian Church of God, we found ourselves in the outskirts of Abuja in villages that had no education, spoke no English and had shrines to various deities. She faced village chiefs who kept disrupting church building efforts and kept their people in fear through extreme poverty. They meted out injustice through forced marriages and oppression of the girl child. My mum was having none of it.

In her quiet unassuming way and measly civil servant salary, she would give all her money and clothes and shoes and food till she would be broke. Then she would face my dad and take his own money and food and clothes till he would scream that he still had kids to fend for. Nothing would stop her. She always had a new ‘project’ she was working on and we would wake up and meet a new church member in our house receiving support as a norm. She used economic empowerment to give people freedom and the independence to pursue a different life of literacy and enlightenment, and hopefully God.

Unlike her I am not a people person per se. okay you got me, I am not a people person at all. And I am thankful for the internet and the ability to reach more people in need beyond the physical reach. And so I have this year started the @milroqzee twitter page as the core platform for our benevolence outreach. The first program is the “Fifty Five Twelve” giveaway where we get people to nominate charities they think are deserving of 50 thousand naira every month and themselves win 5 thousand naira as an incentive if we pick the charity they recommended. This happens for 12 months a year.

In the current economic climate in Nigeria, this has proved to be well received and we are hoping to scale it sustainably in the next few months to include University Fees and Widows Assistance. We will fund other grassroots charities as a conduit. I am not delusional in thinking this will solve the world’s problems but I think she would be proud of me for attempting to follow her dreams for humanity.

So please if you are on twitter, get behind us and refer people who may be considered for help. You would be helping them to believe again, helping me to be a better man and ultimately the best son a mother like mine would be proud to have left behind for the world.

Comments

lade said…
This is a laudable cause! God bless you! I volunteer for 3 different foundations. I’ll recommend all three of them.
lade said…
This is a laudable cause, you’re mom will be more than proud of you! I volunteer with 3 legit foundations i’ll Recommend all 3 of them.
1. NBNL 08064999074 (No boundaries no limits)
2. J.Nissi 07052459648 (Prevention, response (medical, psychology & legal) for sexual abuse related cases especially child sexual abuse)
3. CAEI 08034428317 (Child Advocay and Empowerment Initiative)

Popular posts from this blog

Of #MoreThanPlatitudes

Look at this picture. That's one of the children being rescued from a collapsed school building in Lagos, Nigeria. You don't have a be a parent and I won't pander to your better instincts. Tell me this is acceptable or should be allowed to occur again. The President sent condolence messages and the Governor visited the site then said the state emergency services will do all they can cliched response. the end. and people moved on. The heartbreaking pictures of the children pulled out half dazed with cement dust all over their little noses (Exhibit A) did not let me sleep last night. I have gone to drop a comment on the governor's pages on all social media platforms that we need #MoreThanPlatitudes 🚫❌ We need to hear what policy changes are triggered by the death of these babies. The Commissioner of Education must address Lagosians and set up a project team with the Commissioner for Works or Town Planning etc to undertake an immediate structural integrity test

moved to wordpress - https://simplyoroquesview.blog/

Dear Reader, It appears blogger.com is on its way out. It will always be my first intro to blogging and holds a special place in my heart. However I cannot run two blog sites at once and have to move away from here permanently. My new site is: https://simplyoroquesview.blog/ This will stay up as long as possible but with no further blog posts or updates. See you at my new site! RQ

of #BalanceForBetter

With the global movement shifting women forward, making them outspoken and addressing negative patriarchal activities that have gone on for decades...it has been a great year for moving women forward. The concept of gender equality is now universally accepted and even religious leaders have come to openly embrace the concept as not being against godly teachings. The place of the woman is now everywhere, no more is her definition of success measured by the ability to be submissive to a man or to cook and iron and clean. And although feminism is still under attack in half the world where conservative traditional way of life still holds sway, there has been immense improvement in female child education, reduction of female genital mutilation, plus girl child marriage and trafficking is being fought head on. It is a great time to be a woman. This year, companies and corporate organizations around the world are making a conscious effort to balance the pay gap in the workplace. When H